Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sept 14 New District!


Hello! We had another good week! We finally have gotten more good investigator families and are really filling our schedules. Now we just need to find out how to eliminate fall-throughs (when people who aren't there when you come for the appt). It just makes it difficult when people don't have their phones on because there's been power cuts lately.

Oh yeah thats something I haven't talked about haha I guess it's just become totally normal to us. They call it "load-shedding". Zambia does not have enough power and they don't have enough money to import power I guess, so what they do is they shut off power for periods of the day to shed the load. So most days we  wake up without power and when there's no power there's no water so we just use our back-up jugs which lately have been getting some alge due to the heat as well.. yes mom you'll suggest to put some bleach in to keep them good - beat you to it (;. Or we will come home at night and we won't have power and we do everything by candle light and then cook on the "mbaula". So basically we live the same way as many of the Malawians and Zambians - bucket showers, candles ,and mbaula! Its not too bad actually. But for sure we rejoice when there's power!

Making samosas on the mbaula because there was no power.

 

There was transfers this week and no changes for us (thankfully), but like I said last email we got Elder Sagers and Elder Kibirango in our District. They are such great missionaries, or "Powerful Servants of the Lord". I'm sure they enjoyed Church on Sunday haha The Matero ward is one of a kind! I'm excited to work alongside these elders and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from them.

On Thursday I woke up sick but we still went to the area and tried to take it one lesson at a time but eventually after I felt like I had done what I had strength to do, we went home. On Friday I woke up sick still and was getting worried that it was malaria because the symptoms were similar - no appetite, headache, nausea, etc. So I was advised to go get a check. The ZL's asked us to find a clinic in our area which I was fine with because I never like taking other missionaries away from their work for me. So we went to a local government clinic since we have to walk pretty far to go anywhere from our flat and it was closest. That was an intesting exprience hahaha! Everyone was excited to see an azungu there waiting in line for a free government clinic that's for sure. Well I told the Dr I wanted a malaria check and he told me I didn't have it and asked lots of weird questions and stuff then scribbled some diagnosis and sent me to the pharmacy to get free pills, but not knowing what the pills were and what sickness they were for I didn't take them..

The ZL's decided to take me to a private clinic where I was told it was a flu. My bad..but it's good to at least be sure it's not malaria first. After resting for the rest of the day, I woke up perfectly fine the next day and proceeded with the work trying to make up for the lost time!

Our street contacting has been proving successful this week. We taught many great fathers and even one pastor. Usually when teaching pastors though they want to bash or just want to learn from us to use it for their gain, but with this one he was captivated by the Book of Mormon so we discussed the Restoration and focused on the BOM and it seems he is humble enough to search that scripture with "real intent". We're are starting to see miracles occur often in our area.

I love this work and love you all.
Elder Grant Hiltbrand