Monday, June 15, 2015

June 8 Have a safe flight home Rushton!

Well this was the last week of having 2 "Elder Hiltbrands" in Africa! My brother, Rushton flies home tomorrow to rejoin family and friends. So grateful for his example and for the almost 10 months we served only one country apart!

Last Monday we visited the Kabeya Family in the ward and shared the message about the Sabbath Day and the mother, who hasn't come to church for a long time, was touched by the Spirit and has decided to start coming again. So grateful the Lord was able to work through us in helping her start join her sons at Church again!

On Tuesday we got a new addition to the Matero District. Elder Draycott! We lost Elder Barton who has now gone to be ZL in Lilongwe, but Elder Draycott is great! He is one of Elder Chiliza's previous companions as well haha.   It was funny, we discussed inviting people to church using our little pamphlets and right as my comp and I left District Meeting, a man came up and asked us "how do you worship" so we got to apply those things right away!

A few days prior, my comp had felt prompted to call a man we met with and had a very spiritual lesson with, named Benson, but after that lesson we couldn't get ahold of him and just figured he wasn't interested or his parents stopped him. But we called him randomly and he picked up and we set up an appt. On Tuesday we went and found out his phone was actually just mavuto (problematic) and that he was interested and he took our coming back as an answer to his prayers. So awesome.

Later in the week we met another young man who told us of his parents passing away and how he no longer knew if God was there or loved him. Although we didn't immediately convince him of God's love for him, we had a very spiritual lesson and my comp was able to share his experience of losing both of his parents and how God has helped him. It was powerful and helped me see that truly, people are prepared for us and I'm just so grateful to be touching lives here in Zambia and helping all come unto Christ everyday.

My comp and I did some much-needed service on Saturday while waiting for the Bishop. We cleaned the entire meeting house thoroughly. We mopped everywhere, cleaned chairs, cleaned the nasty fridge that smelled like a freshly slaughtered chicken, and wiped the walls, but yet there's still so much to do. We just want to make the house more inviting for the Spirit so the Sabbath day worship is more spiritual and faith-promoting. "Cleanliness is close to godliness" right?

Mom you won't be happy to hear more about sickness I'm sure, but on Sunday my comp and I both started feeling really weird in the stomach and had runny stomachs. All was okay but then in our first visit with a member after church my comp couldn't take it any longer and we just decided we needed to go home. He was hit much much worse than me, so don't worry mom I'm fine! (; I blame the restaurant we ate at on Friday though..sharwamas can be dangerous...

Despite the runny stomachs, though, the Sabbath was a delight! (Isa 58:13)
Love
Elder Hiltbrand, jr. (Last time signing that way!)